IVF attempt #3.. MAYBE?!

Well hello there June 2018... Sorry for the lack of post. Let me complete a quick recap of where I left you all late January 2018.

I had to cancel IVF attempt #2 due to ovulating a rogue egg on January 20, 2018 after medicating with suppression medications and failing. I gave myself a trigger shot in the parking lot of BJ's Brewhouse before my Mother-in-law's birthday dinner. A week post-ovulation I had a progesterone level check, which was 19, the highest I had seen since testing it, I was usually around 10-11 at this point. I started IVF attempt #3 with Lupron injections nightly ($200 for 2-weeks of injections, much cheaper- YAY). Hoping for a miracle that I had no idea was already in the making!

The last week of January was full of unplanned events and chaos, but that is our life. After the 2nd IVF attempt was cancelled I had come to realize that I was in no way in control about any of this IVF stuff and I just really need to trust my body knows what to do, find the positives, brush off the negatives, and just let go, enjoying the crazy ride. Starting about 5 days before my period was due, I chose to test out my HCG trigger shot every morning. I know, I am only going to drive myself crazy, but this actually helps me deal with it all. On the Thursday the line was progressing lower and harder to see as expected. Come Friday morning, I noticed it slightly darker and I just brushed it off as concentrated urine. However, that evening my Husband and I had gone out to dinner at our favorite Sushi place, where we had our first date. Nothing on the menu looked any bit appetizing to me, except brown rice and Garlic edamame, which I have never ordered. Dan pressured me into sushi and he got some rolls as well. Sushi arrives and I start looking at the sushi like, "Ew, why does it look so gross?" I grab my chopsticks and dig in, ignoring my thoughts. Sushi in mouth- I start gagging. Couldn't eat it. SO.. I ordered edamame and enjoy that and ask for Dan to stop at ice cream on the way home. He does of course! Come Saturday morning, Dan returns to work after being off since January 17th or so for a injury from running an ultra-marathon (50miles straight). Well, that morning would I could not believe it- I had the most positive pregnancy test that we have ever had together. I was shocked- so then I pulled out the big guns and did a digital pregnancy test. SHOCKER- it said PREGNANT! Wait, what? How did this happen? OMG, I am taking injections to get pregnant. Is this safe?

I chose not to tell anyone, because I always have a day or two positive and then it fades away. However, I felt so nauseated and wanted nothing to do with any food or water. This is not normal for me to be sick this early on in a pregnancy or to really have this strong of a positive test this early. I was still 2 days away from the day I was suppose to start. I was in shock overall and wondered if this was for real this time. Something left me at ease though knowing this lucky little rogue egg met a really lovely sperm and this was going to be our baby. That morning I called the nurse on call since I was in the middle of IVF #3 and injections. After that it was a whirlwind of running around for a STAT lab draw and more meds to support the pregnancy. They were afraid since I was in suppression that my body wouldn't support the pregnancy and I needed to take PO estrace twice a day and 3 vaginal progesterone suppositories a day (OH JOY!). On Sunday morning Dan was coming home from work and I tested again- the line was EVEN DARKER! So, I had to tell him as soon as he got home. We met him for breakfast and then I rushed home and set up a few items on our bed that I have had for almost a year and half waiting for this to all happen. Well, I grabbed him and said I need to talk to you. He thought he was in trouble- HAHAHA. I pulled him into our room and shut the door. He looked at the bed and then looked at me with tears in our eyes, he asked me, "Are you serious?" and I nodded. He grabbed me so tightly and we cried tears of joy, happiness, and pain from the struggle. We were so nervous and shocked- in complete Awe of it all. I mean, how did this happen? (Well, we know HOW, but why now?)



We kept this very quite for a very long time, even from our parents until we knew this was actually happening. I had blood draws every other day for the first week to make sure I was progressing and they were all shocked as my numbers tripled and doubled, even my progesterone and estrogen looked great. I was cleared until 6wk 2d and we had our first Ultrasound. I was nauseated and so sick I had barely ate anything over the two weeks, which made my doctor nervous with my previous Kidney issues in Brielle's pregnancy. So she put me on medications to help with nausea, which really did not seem to help me much. So the TWAT-wand and I met again only to find.....

This is our lil baby growing with a strong flicker! This.is.for.real. Cue tears! This is crazy! How did this happen? I know many that struggle through infertility still do not want to hear about this miracle story and that is OK. I get it. However, this is our story of how we were blessed with a miracle baby and we are still unsure how it all happened. We had a less than 1% chance to conceive naturally and have a healthy baby. I am still rooting for you if you are in this terrible trek of infertility and hope you will be blessed soon. 

#acquiringbabyMcGuire #BabyLOctober2018 


Comments

Popular Posts